Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baby blanket done and gone

Finally finished this baby blanket for afghans for Afghans. It's knit in a simple moss stitch from a really bulky alpaca/wool yarn donated to the group and divvied up amongst us willing knitters. Sometimes I felt the knitting would never end, but when I did, I'd remember to think about the baby or child who will be so much warmer wrapped in it.

From afghans for Afghans knit-and crochet-along


And I know how warm and soft it is, because not only was I covered in it while I worked, I also cuddled in it for an hour or so just to be sure it was completely dry. It took more than two days for it to dry, but washing it was crucial.

I also enclosed a pair of bright fuschia kids' socks. I hope they'll cheer somebody up as well as keep their toes warm. Afghani people remove their shoes when indoors, and heating is very poor to nonexistent. I've seen pictures of barefoot children in school in what looks like a very cold building. So I know these will make somebody happy.

And that's what it's all about: Keeping someone warm and making them smile. Keeps me going.

No comments: